Silva 70p Compass

There are many women who, on being presented with this as their birthday present, would hurl the item in their husband's faces.

As it is quite heavy, I'm crossing my fingers that Liz is not one of them. I'm driving to Sea Kayak Oban this morning to buy one.

Sadly, Liz and I won't be together for her birthday. She has had to go south to look after her Mum who is having an operation tomorrow.

She's having a 'Watchman' fitted. Apparently, it's not a comic book hero.

When we were kayaking off Mingulay, Liz mentioned she would like a compass on her kayak, so I tucked the idea away. I'm not the greatest handy-man, but hopefully I'll get it fitted before she returns. Although the idea of driving screws into the gel coat flls me with dread.

What's that? Not very romantic? Surely you didn't think that was all I was getting her? Oh no.
She's also getting some silver Hunter wellies. I think they look like cyberman boots but hey, what do I know?