Kayak Accident

I've been thinking a lot today about the kayaking accident which happened yesterday in Scotland. If you don't know about it, you can read it on BBC Online or the MCA website. The photo is from the BBC Website.

I can't begin to imagine how the family and friends of both young men must feel today; one is dead, the other in hospital. However, one of their friends has contributed to a thread on the SeaKayak Forum. The details of the accident aren't clear but the men were locals and, according to BBC Radio Scotland reports, may have capsized in the Dorus Mor.

I'll be paddling that area for the first time soon so this event is a salutary warning. Indeed, such accidents make me think through what I'd do in such a situation. Of course, it's so much easier when warm and dry. I wonder whether, cold and wet, I'd cope?

By coincidence, I was speaking to Clyde Coastguard today about recording a Podcast this Sunday. If you're on the water in the Clyde area, I'll be in the control room. The photo is from the MCA website.

Can you suggest any questions? If so, please add a comment. I plan to ask the following:

Routine - when they prefer folks to check-in & report back; what info they need; the CG66 scheme; how they respond to a call from a member of the public.

Weather - new broadcast times; interpreting terms used; RT procedure for calling for a forecast

Emergencies - flares/Epirbs, what happens; When to call mayday; what info need and what happens; talk through an emergency call.