Torino Nice Rally 1 - What You Need To Know

At home in Scotland, I found it hard to get my head around the nature of the Torino Nice Rally.  

Now I think of it as four, high-level Italian military gravel roads (Strada Assietta, Strada Cannoni, Altiplano della Gardetta and Via del Sale) linked together by a series of road cols, most of which either have an off-road element or alternative.  

There… I squeezed it into one sentence.  I could not have done that a month ago.  You can see Short videos I shot and edited during the ride, and the more considered videos produced afterwards in this YouTube Playlist. 
   
Obviously, the maps help, and you’ll find both my route and the 2022 Official Route on Komoot, but they don’t tell anywhere near the full story.  Of course, that’s the point.  



You should write your own story, ride your own ride, and live your own adventure.  Of course, you could always watch my videos too.
 
But since a little help doesn’t go amiss, I thought I’d set out some thoughts regarding transport and equipment, the things you might stress about during the planning stage.  Once you get there, it’ll be down to you.

If you’d like to see how I coped, check out my preparation videos and the videos of my ride including the after-thoughts about equipment choice.  The first is below and you'll find everything else here.

In the coming posts, I'll publish my thoughts on the best way to travel to and from the TNR plus I'll give a detailed kit list and analyse what worked well, and what didn't.




 
For background on the Torino Nice Rally, watch my interview below with the organiser James Olsen or download the Podcast version.  I've also recorded a podcast about my ride.